Social Media for New Businesses
Wednesday January 22, 2014.
Langara’s Continuing Studies Self Employment Program.
What to Expect From Today’s Workshop
During the first of two workshops (Social Media 2 is next week), we talk about social media and…
- Power: social media’s influence on politics, business, and personal lives
- Policy: whether it’s written up into a formal document or just a set of personal guidelines, everyone and every business has a social policy – what’s yours?
- Best Practices: my 5 keys to social media success.
- Platforms: LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Blogs. Who uses them? What for? Regional and national numbers.
- Goals: what do you want to achieve for your business? SMART goals guide you to the right social media platform(s) for your business.
At the end of the workshop I ask the participants to select two social media platforms which we will focus on the following week. Last time, they selected YouTube, LinkedIn and blogging (yes, three!). The time before that it was Facebook and Instagram.
Instead of a PowerPoint presentation, I use as many social media platforms as possible during the three hour session (Slideshare, Scribd, Issuu, Youtube, Pinterest, WordPress, and more).
I also use specific examples throughout the workshop, including a collection of cautionary tales.